December 11

Article #1: Classroom Management Affects Literacy Development of Students With Emotional and Behavioral Disorders-EDEC6099, 12/10/21

Analysis:

This article discuss how many children who have behavioral issues struggle academically and can disrupt traditional classroom instruction. Even though effective classroom management techniques can help children with behavioral issues, it is unclear if these children need consistent effective classroom management throughout the early elementary school years in hopes of improving their educational outcomes. The study investigated the effectiveness of classroom management experienced by children rated as having symptoms of emotional and behavioral disorders (EBD) in the classroom from kindergarten to third grade in order to better understand the effects on third-grade reading skills. The finding where that increased classroom management in the first four years of school was related to higher scores on standardized tests of reading success in third grade for boys with EBD, but girls with EBD seemed to be unaffected by the quality of educators’ classroom management at the same time. The article states that the implications for professionals and future research needs are discussed.   

Reflection:

I enjoyed reading this article. The overall article was very insightful and related to the topic of classroom management. After reading this I came away with a new point of view on classroom management. I had been completely unaware that classroom management can affect literacy development of children with emotional and behavior disorders. This is something I never thought of.  This information will be beneficial in my future classroom because I believe that it is more common for children, especially in the early years, to have emotional and behavior disorders. So, its important to know multiple aspects of classroom management can affect those children. 

Garwood, J. D., & Vernon-Feagans, L. (2016). Classroom Management Affects Literacy Development of Students With Emotional and Behavioral Disorders. Exceptional Children, 83(2), 123–142. https://doi.org/10.1177/0014402916651846

Posted December 11, 2021 by sharnita in category Uncategorized