December 11

Article #2 Using the Quality of Literacy Implementation Checklist to Improve Preschool Literacy Instruction-EDEC 6099, 12/10/21

Analysis:

The article discusses that despite significant progress in increasing the quality of preschool programs, the quality of instruction in early childhood settings remains unbalanced. They talk about one way that appear for improving preschool classroom effectiveness, including literacy instruction, is to provide practical, systematic, and long-term support and professional development (PD) for teachers. The article states that preschool teachers who want to concentrate on improving literacy instruction must have easy-to-use tools that can be implemented quickly and provide a way to assess progress toward the goal of improving literacy instruction. The Quality of Literacy Implementation Checklist assesses how well the educators incorporate purposeful literacy/oral language instruction. Quality of application focuses on the teacher’s delivery of key component  of evidence-based instruction, rather than focusing on a specific curriculum or intervention. It states that the quality of implementation checklist not only attempts to measure implementation but also serves as a guided roadmap for how instruction can be altered to highlight critical and essential skills throughout the preschool day.

Reflection:

As I begin to read this article I wasn’t too sure about it but as I gave it a chance its a great article. I never heard of a Quality of Literacy Implementation Checklist before reading this article. The article had a example of what the checklist would look like, which was helpful because as I was reading I didn’t have an idea of what the checklist could consist of. After reading this article I found that Evaluating the literacy environment in preschool classrooms and providing support to teachers based on observations could be a valid way of increasing children’s growth in appropriate literacy skills. One important thing to notice was that, instead of focusing on a specific curriculum, this is centered on the instructor’s delivery of evidence-based literacy instruction qualities.

Beecher, C., Abbott, M., Petersen, S., & Greenwood, C. (2017). Using the Quality of Literacy Implementation Checklist to Improve Preschool Literacy Instruction. Early Childhood Education Journal45(5), 595–602. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10643-016-0816-8

https://web.p.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail/detail?vid=0&sid=5906d1dd-a2c2-4c11-bbb5-96e84b774e7a%40redis&bdata=JkF1dGhUeXBlPWlwLHNzbyZzaXRlPWVob3N0LWxpdmU%3d#db=a9h&AN=124253932

Posted December 11, 2021 by sharnita in category Uncategorized